Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DIY FUN: Lip Balm

We had a small 'crisis' this evening:  my husband's tube of lip balm disappeared out of the medicine cabinet.  A small thing really, until your lips are burning, dry and chapped which is a fairly common thing with the Polar Vortex and below zero temps and windchill.

Normally, I would have a stash of Chap Stick in the cupboard but in my DIY mindset, I haven't bought any lately.  I do, however, have a lip balm recipe from WellnessMama.com and empty tubes from MountainRoseHerbs.com (they cost 30 cents apiece!!!!) at the ready.  In the meantime, I gave hub my tube of lip balm to keep him happy while I sprang into action!

I pulled out my 3-ring notebook of recipes and quickly found what I was looking for and you can find Wellness Mama's recipe below.  I made half a batch as I only had 8 tubes on hand.  I opted not to add any tint but I did add 5 drops of peppermint oil for fragrance.

I put the ingredients into a small jar in a hot water bath and melted them, added the Peppermint Oil and here's where it got a little um..sticky.  I tried using a little metal funnel which promptly cooled the mixture and clogged.  A metal skewer removed that.  Also, it tended to cool as I poured it into the tubes.  Pouring it directly into the tubes worked well as long as I moved quickly but poured slowly.  I used a little scraper I had and scraped the cooled balm off the inside of the jar and remelted it and continued on.  Not a big deal but it took a little time.  I think I will be a bit faster next time now that I've done it once.  Be careful to place the tubes upright to cool in a place where they won't get bumped.  When cool, use a paper towel to wipe off the outside of the tube and then put on the cap.

I took a tube to my husband and he was thrilled!  Especially when I told him that it cost a lot less than what we had been purchasing.  I can't wait to share it with my kids and see what they think.

Estimated cost:  $1.60/tube.  A little more than Chap Stick but much less than lip balm sticks using similar ingredients:

Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm                        retail price $3.29       Vitacost price $2.63
Dr. Bronner's Sun Dog's Organic Lip Balm     retail price $3.24       Vitacost price $2.69
Alba Un-Petroleum Lip Balm                           retail price $2.75      Vitacost price $1.79
Aubrey Organics Lip Balm                                retail price $2.95      Vitacost price $2.19

A definite DIY Success!  Have you ever made lip balm?  Would you consider trying to do it?
Follow me on my DIY Adventure!


Wellness Mama's Natural Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
Natural Tinted Lip Stain Recipe with color options Natural Tinted Lip Balm Recipe
Print
Prep time  
Cook time
Total time
Author:
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon beeswax pastilles (or 2 Tablespoons if making in lip chap containers)
  • 1 tablespoon Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
  • This base recipe will fill about 6 small tins or about 10 plastic lip chap containers.
Instructions
  1. Melt the coconut oil, beeswax and shea/cocoa butter in a glass jar sitting in a small pot of simmering water (not boiling) and stir gently until melted (be careful not to get any water into the mixture).
  2. When melted, carefully stir in any colors or essential oils, if using. My favorite is lemon and vanilla for scent and a little red coloring or cocoa powder for color. A couple drops of peppermint will make it similar to Burt’s Bees Lip Chap.
  3. Once colors/scents are mixed in, use a dropper to transfer to tins or lip chap containers. Let cool.
  4. Apply the versions in the tins with your finger or use the version in plastic container as you would regular lip chap.
Notes
Optional Add-Ins For Red Hues: ⅛ teaspoon of beet root powder or 1 drop of natural red food coloring with no chemical additives. NOTE: Add these very slowly as a little goes a long way! I added one drop of natural red food coloring to the recipe above! For Brown/Tan Hues: ¼ teaspoon (or more for color) of organic cocoa powder, a tiny pinch of cinnamon or turmeric to get the shade you want For Scent: A drop of essential oil of choice (optional) 
 ________________


No comments:

Post a Comment