Saturday, January 4, 2014

Let's DIY!!!

Now that I've given you a little background, let's talk about what I've been doing in the past couple of days!

I am awaiting the arrival of my ingredients from Vitacost.com and MountainRoseHerbs.com but I found a couple recipes  on www.wellnessmama.com that I could do with what I have on hand!

The first DIY I tried was HAIRSPRAY!  I don't normally use it but my daughter does and, since the half-bath she uses is five feet away from this computer, I often find myself choking on fumes.  You can see the recipe here.  I cut the recipe in half because the spray bottle I'd re-purposed was only six ounces.

Basically it involves bringing water to a boil, dissolving SUGAR into it, letting it cool, adding a tiny bit of VODKA (alcohol = preservative) and essential oils for fragrance.  My daughter and I culled through our meager collection and decided on equal amounts of lemon, orange and bergamot  which is kind of citrusy-musky.  The result was a nice, fresh fragrance.  I tried it out and it really made my hair SHINY!  There was some stiffness but it eased up and it worked pretty well.  I could refresh it by running wet hands through my hair.  Here's a pic:


The hold can be adjusted by changing the amount of sugar used.  My daughter liked it also!

Another thing that's been concerning about my hair is that I color and highlight it every six weeks.  I have had some concerns about what these chemicals are doing to me and I need to cut the expense.  I haven't tried any of wellnessmama's natural hair color recipes yet but here's what I DID do:

I took a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee I had in the cupboard, mixed it with enough water to make a thin paste (a beautiful reddish brown) and worked it through my hair.  The first day I left it in about 10 minutes and today I left it in about an hour (I got busy baking bread and couldn't get to the shower).  I'm not sure if it's doing anything, but I sure smelled WONDERFUL!  I shall continue the experiment for a few days.  The picture looks a bit red and the highlights seem to have diminished, but that could just be my iPod camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment