Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY FUN: Nail Butter

I have spent hours wandering around the internet looking for DIY cleaning and beauty products resulting in a mixed bag of emotions:  Excitement to find a way to make something useful which will allow me to use natural products and save money, Frustration at not being able to find what I am looking for, Disappointment when things didn't work out so well and Joy and Happiness when I find something that works.

Sometimes in my wanderings I find recipes for things I didn't realize I needed.   For example, I discovered Ms. Rosie Velt (MsRosieVelt.com) who shared a quick and easy tutorial video for nail butter aka a cuticle and nail treatment on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADybHsuKkM

 Here is her recipe for 2 ounces.  I took me about 10-15 minutes to make this.

1 ½ oz - Shea Butter, nourish and repair dry, cracking cuticles
½ oz -- Beeswax, softens cuticles and creates a long-lasting protective coating against the elements
1 tbs - Coconut Oil, has softening properties which help keep nails healthy and strong while keeping cuticles moisturized
1 tsp -- Olive Oil, helps soften and moisturize cuticles
5 drops - Tea Tree Oil, antibacterial properties
2 oz Jar, to store cuticle cream for on the go use

I added 5-10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil because I adore lavender!

Melt all ingredients (except the jar and the essential oils) in a re-purposed glass jar or glass Pyrex measuring cup in a pan of very hot water.  Remove the jar/measuring cup from the water.  Be careful!  It's hot!!!  Add your EO's and pour into your container(s).  Let it cool and there you go!

Run a fingertip across the cooled product to warm it and then rub the balm on your finger into your nails and cuticles.  My nails are no longer dry and brittle, my cuticles look nice.  It's only been a few days so I can't say whether or not my nails are stronger, but they are definitely more hydrated and less brittle and look nicer.  I keep a tin near my usual 'spot' on the couch to apply when I'm sitting there as well as a tin on my nightstand to apply at bedtime.


And there we go!  A DIY Success!  Are you going to try this?  Have you made something similar?

Follow me on my DIY Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment