Sunday, January 5, 2014

More DIY hair

I have been wandering around WellnessMama.com, finding more recipes, saving and printing them for my Green recipe book.

I came across a recipe for a hair treatment:  4 tablespoons coconut oil melted with 1 tablespoon honey, work into hair and leave on for 20 minutes or more.  My hair is color treated and I rarely use a hair dryer but it still felt 'crunchy' and dry so of course I had to try it!

I mixed the ingredients in my glass measuring cup and melted them by placing the measuring cup into my larger glass measuring cup filled with hot water (watch out for displacement overflow...put them together over the sink!)

I did not melt it completely, just enough to mix it together easier.  I went into the bathroom, threw an old towel over my shoulders and began working it through my hair.  It was pretty goopy but not difficult to work through my chin-length hair.  If you do this, be sure to wear a top that you don't have to pull over your head if you are planning on washing your hair in the shower!

Twenty minutes after application I hopped into the shower.  I had some concerns about how hard it would be to get it out of my hair but it came out easily.  WARNING:  This will make your tub SLIPPERY!  Use a bathmat!  I shampooed my hair twice and decided not to use conditioner this time to get an accurate view of the results.

After my shower I took a squirt of shower gel and washed the bathmat, closed the drain and ran enough water to fill the bottom of the tub, used my hand to clean the mat and emptied the tub...it took 30 seconds and was worth the effort to avoid a slippery tub.

I opted to use the hair dryer to speed up the drying process, which gives me a straighter hairstyle. I did not use any of my other products, not even the DIY hairspray, so I could make an accurate assessment.

My hair was less 'crunchy' and felt softer and fuller.  I think I will have to repeat this treatment in a few days to see if there is additional improvement.  I'm thinking I may also add in a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee and see if it changes my hair color.

The adventure continues!  Next up:  Powdered foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment